BSAVA releases new edition of the Small Animal Formulary
The BSAVA Small Animal Formulary has been one of the Association’s most trusted and highly valued publications for over a quarter of a century. The 10th edition sees the simultaneous release of both Part A: Canine and Feline and Part B: Exotic Pets for the first time.
Fergus Allerton has taken up the Editor-in-Chief reins for the new edition of Part A: Canine and Feline, whilst Joanna Hedley has stepped into the role of Editor-in-Chief for the new edition of Part B: Exotic Pets. For both formularies, the editorial panels have thoroughly reviewed the drug monographs to ensure that the most up-to-date information is provided on the medications used for dogs, cats and exotic pets.
Key points for the latest edition of Part A include:
- 13 new drug monographs, including additional chemotherapeutic agents.
- The guidelines on antibacterial use have been updated to reflect the information provided in the 2018 PROTECT ME initiative.
- 9 new Client Information Leaflets have been added to the existing resource. BSAVA members can access these leaflets via the BSAVA Library or the BSAVA app
- The introduction of bullet points within the Use section for drugs with multiple indications to aid information retrieval.
Key points for the latest edition of Part B include:
- 12 new drug monographs.
- The general appendix and the protocols have been reviewed and updated
- Products that are authorised for use in one or more of the exotic pet species listed in the monograph are marked by bold text, to aid with following the Prescribing Cascade.
- The introduction of bold text in the Doses section to denote particular species within a group to help with information retrieval.
BSAVA President, Sue Paterson said: “The BSAVA Small Animal Formulary is recognised as an invaluable asset for the small animal clinician and is one of the Association’s most useful member benefits. Busy small animal clinicians in both primary care and referral practice will find this evidence-based resource an invaluable help with immediate prescribing advice.”
Eligible BSAVA members will receive a complimentary print copy of Part A: Canine and Feline, and those who renew their membership in 2020 will also receive Part B: Exotic Pets as a loyalty reward gift.
Both Part A and Part B are available:
- As a printed copy (£50 each; £35 to BSAVA members) available from the BSAVA shop.
- As part of a 12-month digital subscription with Part A: Canine and Feline, Part B: Exotic Pets and the client information leaflets (£246; FREE to BSAVA members) available from the BSAVA Library.
- FREE to members via the BSAVA app.
For more information on how to become a BSAVA member, visit the BSAVA website.